Mr. Goodbar Date Bars
- 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted dates (about 1 pound), chopped
- 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Prepare Date Filling and reserve.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bars: Mix brown sugar, butter, and shortening in bowl until blended.
- Stir in remaining ingredients
and work with fingers until crumbly.
- Press half of oat mixture into bottom of prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Spoon Date Filling over, spreading to sides of pan.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over; press lightly.
- Bake until golden brown on top, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- While warm, cut into 2 x 1 1/2-inch bars.
- Date Filling: Heat all ingredients in medium saucepan over low heat until
thickened, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Reserve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.