This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Mr. Goodbar Date Bars
- 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted dates (about 1 pound), chopped
- 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Prepare Date Filling and reserve.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bars: Mix brown sugar, butter, and shortening in bowl until blended.
- Stir in remaining ingredients
and work with fingers until crumbly.
- Press half of oat mixture into bottom of prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Spoon Date Filling over, spreading to sides of pan.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over; press lightly.
- Bake until golden brown on top, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- While warm, cut into 2 x 1 1/2-inch bars.
- Date Filling: Heat all ingredients in medium saucepan over low heat until
thickened, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Reserve.