Oatmeal Fig Bars
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (17 ounce) can Kadota Figs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture.
- Press the remaining mixture into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Spread with Fig Filling.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Cool before cutting into bars.
- Fig Filling: In a small bowl, mash figs with fork; combine with fig syrup
from can and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan mix sugar, cornstarch and spices.
- Pour mashed figs
and fig syrup over the sugar mixture and stir until blended together. Cook and
stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly.