Orange Custard Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces/li>
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup frozen orange concentrate, thawed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (orange liqueur)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- Dough: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Set aside a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Place flour and brown sugar in a food processor and pulse 3 to 4 times,
just to mix.
- Scatter the butter over the mixture. Pulse several times and then
process for about 30 seconds, or until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl
and forms curds.
- Press the dough into the baking pan and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until
the crust firms and starts to take on color.
- Orange Custard: While the crust is baking, wipe out the bowl of the processor
(not necessary to wash it) and put in all the custard ingredients.
- Just before
the crust is ready, process the ingredients for 1 minute, stopping once to scrape
down the sides of the bowl.
- When the crust is ready, remove the pan from the oven, pour the custard
over, and tilt the pan to smooth the top.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until golden and
- Place the pan on a rack to cool to room temperature.
- When the pastry is cool, cut into bars.
- Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Lime Custard Bars: Replace orange concentrate with freshly squeezed
lime juice and the grated orange zest with lime zest.