Pear Custard Bars
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can pear halves, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Crust: In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in the flour and vanilla extract until combined.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Press into a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Increase heat to 375 degrees F.
- Filling/Topping: In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar, egg and vanilla extract; mix until combined.
- Pour over crust.
- Cut pears into 1/8-inch slices; arrange in a single layer over filling.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pears.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes (center will be soft set and will become firmer
- Cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Yields 16 bars.