Pineapple Cheesecake Squares
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped, candied pineapple or dried sugared pineapple
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square metal pan with foil and
spray foil with cooking/baking spray.
- Pulse flour, sugar and salt in food processor to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture has the consistency of cornmeal.
- Add orange zest and pulse once or twice more.
- Measure out 1/2 cup and set aside.
- Dump remainder into pan and press into bottom.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, wipe out food processor or switch bowls.
- Process cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and process another 30 seconds,
- Add egg and process for another 30 seconds.
- Add pineapple and pulse just until mixed.
- Pour this mixture over baked crust and spread to ends.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top.
- Return to oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then chill for at least two hours.
- Grasp foil, lift bars from pan and cut into squares.
Yield: about 16 small squares or 12 bars