Pineapple Dream Bars
Pineapple Dream Bars boast a shortbread-like crust with a custard filling containing
coconut, walnuts and maraschino cherries.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed, divided use
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided use
- 1 (8.25 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup or juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium mixer bowl, beat butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar.
- Blend in 1 cup flour until mixture is crumbly.
- Pat into bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Keep oven hot, but remove the pan to cool.
- Drain pineapple well, pressing out excess liquid with back of spoon.
- In large bowl, combine remaining 2/3 cup brown sugar until thick.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, cinnamon,
nutmeg and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients and extract into egg mixture.
- Fold in pineapple, coconut, nuts and cherries.
- Spread over baked crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes longer or until set.
- Cool slightly on wire rack before cutting into bars.
Yield: 18 bars