- 7 ounces marzipan paste or almond paste
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 drops green food coloring, or to desired color
- 5 drops red food coloring, or to desired color
- 1 (12 ounce) jar raspberry jam (preferably seedless)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease three 13 x 9-inch metal baking pans.
Line bottom of each with wax paper — letting it extend at two opposite
ends — and grease paper.
- Break marzipan paste into small pieces and grind with sugar in food processor
until no lumps remain.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add butter. Beat with an
electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add yolks and almond extract and
- Beat in flour and salt on low speed.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl
with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks and stir one third into
batter to lighten slightly (batter will still be stiff).
- Fold in remaining whites thoroughly.
- Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each).
- Stir green food coloring
into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain.
- Spread each dough separately into a pan. (Layers will be thin.)
- Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to
turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total.
- Run knife along edges to loosen from pan, then while still hot, invert a
large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper
overhangs to release if necessary. Peel off wax paper and cool completely.
- Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into
- Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain
- Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with
pink layer (trim edges if necessary).
- Cover with plastic wrap and weigh down
with a large cutting board or baking pan.
- Chill at least three hours.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely
- Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly
over top, but not sides, of pink layer.
- Let stand at room temperature until
set, about 1 hour, and cut into small diamonds (12 rows crosswise and 12 diagonal
Yield: About 7 dozen diamonds
DO NOT MAKE THE DOUGH AHEAD OF TIME.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.