Raspberry Tea Squares
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup raspberry preserves
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 9-inch square baking pan
and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until
light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until smooth.
- Add flour, allspice and nuts, mixing until well combined.
- Place half the batter
in bottom of prepared baking pan; gently and carefully spread preserves over
mixture and top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes, then cut into squares.
Variation: Try apricot jam with pecans; strawberry with filberts; peach with walnuts.