Red Hot Apple Squares
Some red hots will melt during baking, others will stay crunchy.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups Pillsbury All-Purpose Flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (21 ounce can) prepared
apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup (6 1/2 ounces) red cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- There is no need to sift flour; measure by lightly spooning into cup and
- In large mixer bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar, eggs, lemon extract,
flour, baking soda and salt; blend at low speed until moistened.
- Firmly press
2/3 of dough into bottom of ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
with apple pie filling; sprinkle with nuts and cinnamon candies.
- Crumble remaining
dough on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cool completely; cut into bars.
Makes 36 bars.
If desired, prepare as directed in an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
Press 1/2 of dough into pan, and crumble remaining 1/2 on top of pie filling.
1 (17 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained, can be used for the apple pie filling.
For use with Pillsbury Self-Rising Flour, omit soda and salt.
High altitude adjustment - 5,200 feet. No adjustment necessary.
Source: 21st Pillsbury Bake off