Rum-Frosted Spice Squares
A buttery rum frosting covers these fine-textured spice bars with a hint of coffee
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon EACH cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 to 8 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup boiling
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring or 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Cream together shortening and sugar until creamy and light.
- Beat in the
eggs, one by one, blending well. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, what germ, spices and salt.
- Add raisins.
- Stir molasses into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Add the boiling
water, instant coffee and baking soda.
- Stir in the flour mixture and lemon rind.
- Spread batter into a greased 15 x 10-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees
F for about 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Frost with Rum Frosting.
- Cut into bars to serve.
- Rum Frosting: Cream together butter or margarine, powdered sugar and salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Add rum flavoring
- Blend in milk or enough to make frosting
of spreading consistency.