Rum Raisin Custard Bars
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In small saucepan, combine raisins and water; bring to a boil. Drain; set
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup brown sugar and butter; beat until light and
- Add flour, oats and baking soda; mix at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of mixture on bottom of greased pan to form base.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in sour cream and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring
constantly. DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir in raisins, vanilla extract and rum extract.
- Pour evenly over base.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over filling.
- Bake for an additional 30-40 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool for 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 36 small bars