This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Rustic Nut Bars
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup cold butter, divided
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (I used milk)
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup roasted salted almonds
- 1 cup salted cashews, toasted
- 1 cup pistachios, toasted*
- Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 tablespoon
butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in
remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in egg until blended
(mixture will be dry). Press firmly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring honey, brown sugar and
salt to a boil; stir until sugar is dissolved. Boil without stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add butter and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the hazelnuts, almonds, cashews and pistachios.
- Spread over crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until topping is bubbly.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using foil, lift bars out of pan. Discard foil; cut into squares.
Yield: 2 to 3 dozen