This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Bars: Cream margarine and sugars.
- Add vanilla extract and egg yolk and beat until light.
- Stir in flour and oats and pour into a greased 8-inch square baking
pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 300 degrees F.
- Ice when cool.
- Icing: Melt chocolate and margarine in double boiler.
- Turn off heat and add remaining ingredients, beating quickly until smooth.
- Spread over uncut pastry.
- Let icing become firm in the refrigerator before cutting into squares.
Yield: 16 squares