- 1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg yolks (reserve whites)
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces)
semisweet chocolate pieces
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Gradually add
to creamed mixture and blend together. This gets quite thick so add up to 3
- Beat well into a fluffy light dough.
- Gently press dough into
greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate pieces evenly over pastry and press down
- In a medium bowl, beat the two egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually beat in
the brown sugar.
- Spread this mixture evenly over the pastry layer.
- Top with
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
- Cut into squares when almost cool.
These squares freeze very well.
Can be made in a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan or 9 x 13-inch baking pan greased.
Makes 54 small squares when using the jellyroll pan.