Soft Granola Bars
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil or flaked coconut
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1 cup crushed walnuts, almonds or flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Bars: In a large mixing bowl combine brown sugar, oil and eggs by blending
with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in oatmeal, whole wheat flour, baking soda, chocolate
chips, raisins or dates, nuts or coconut, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Spread some of the mixture in a 15 x 1-inch jellyroll pan that has been
lightly sprayed with nonstick vegetable oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the center is just set, about 18 to 22 minutes.
- Cool at least 15 minutes in the pan before repeating the baking process
with the next batch.
- Drizzle with a Honey Glaze if desired.
- Honey Glaze: Heat honey and butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat
until the butter is melted. Stir, then drizzle over the baked granola bars.
- Cool slightly, then cut into 3 x 1-inch bars.