Spectacular Cranberry Squares
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) melted butter
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 bags fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Lightly spray two 8-inch square baking pans. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together
until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the melted butter and almond extract.
- Add the flour and stir well.
- Stir in the cranberries and the pecans. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 70 minutes. Make sure to test the center with a wooden pick before
removing from oven.
- Let cool at room temperature. (Can be prepared the day ahead.)
- Cut into squares and serve.
Makes about 12 per pan.
These freeze well.