Spirited Southern Sweet Potato Bars
- 2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned), uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes or canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch metal baking pan with cooking
- In a large bowl, combine oats and flour; mix well.
- Transfer 2/3 cup to small
bowl and add salt and red pepper; set aside for filling.
- To remaining oat-flour mixture, add butter, sugar and vanilla extract; blend
with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup for topping.
- Press remaining mixture evenly onto bottom of pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes; remove from oven.
- In separate bowl, combine sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, bourbon and
reserved 2/3 cup oat flour-red pepper mixture; mix well.
- Spread filling over warm crust.
- Add nuts to reserved 1 cup topping mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle evenly over filling, patting lightly.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until topping is light golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Store in refrigerator tightly covered.
Makes 32 bars.
Per bar: Cal 160 (51% fat) Fat 9 g (4 g sat) Fiber 1 g Chol 30 mg Sodium
65 mg Carb 18 g
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bar Cookie Recipes