Strawberry Marzipan Bars
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond
- 3/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Crumb Mixture: In 1 1/2-quart mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and
butter. Beat at low speed for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often,
until mixture is crumbly.
- Press into prepared pan.
- Bake near center of oven 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Filling: In same 1 1/2-quart mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, butter,
salt and almond extract. Beat at low speed for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping sides
of bowl often, until well mixed; set aside.
- Spread preserves within 1/2 inch from edge of hot crust.
- Sprinkle reserved
filling ingredients over preserves.
- Return to oven; bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until edges are lightly
- Glaze: In small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and almond
extract. Stir until smooth.
- Cool bars completely.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled bars.
- Cut into bars.