Toffee Nut Bars
This chocolate bar cookie has a wonderful caramel flavor.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (1 1/3 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly firm
cups lightly packed very fresh light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons
pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons medium-fine chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Position the rack in the center of the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter a 10 x 15-inch jellyroll pan well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until
lightened in color.
- Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat well until
light in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the side of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla extract.
- Reduce the mixer speed
to low and add dry ingredients in three additions, mixing just to incorporate.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer; using a large rubber spatula, fold in 1
cup of the walnuts and the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture in the pan, smoothing
the top with a small spatula.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the sides are lightly browned. Do not
- A wooden pick inserted in the center should still show signs of moistness.
- Place on a cooling rack for 1 hour, then cut into 1 3/4 x 2-inch squares.