Tom Thumb Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed
dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Combine butter with salt. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and cream thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup flour and blend.
- Pat mixture into a 12 x 8-inch floured, greased pan
- Bake in moderately slow oven approximately 325 degrees F for 15 minutes
or until delicately browned.
- Add remaining brown sugar and vanilla extract to eggs, beating until thick
- Add 2 tablespoons flour, baking powder, coconut and nuts. Blend.
- Spread over baked mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Yields 16 (2-inch) squares.