Viennese Raspberry Squares
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sifted
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds or walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup red raspberry, peach or apricot preserves
- In a medium mixing bowl bring egg whites to room temperature. Set aside.
- For crust, in another medium mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an
electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened.
about half the flour, then add the sugar and egg yolks. Beat on medium to high
speed until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Stir in
the remaining flour.
- Press crust mixture into an ungreased 9-inch square baking
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash and dry the beaters.
- For meringue topping, add
cream of tartar to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until stiff
peaks form (tip stands straight).
- Gently fold in the chopped nuts.
- Set meringue
- Spread preserves over the top of the hot baked crust.
- Carefully spread
meringue topping over the preserves layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes more or until top is golden.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in refrigerator.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.