Fruit and Almond Biscotti
Candied fruit make these cookies extra sweet. To crush the anise seed, use a
spice mill, clean coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seed, coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, plus sugar for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup red candied cherries
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and anise seed to
combine thoroughly. Set aside.
- In mixer bowl, combine butter and 1 cup sugar; beat until well-mixed. Blend in
vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Separate 1 egg, reserving yolk and white in separate bowls.
- To butter mixture add egg yolk, then the remaining 2 eggs, one at a time, beating
well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture until dough is smooth
and well-blended. Divide dough in half and wrap each portion in plastic film. Refrigerate
until firm (about 1 hour).
- While dough is chilling, combine almonds, candied fruit and candied cherries.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out one of the portions of dough to an 8 x 12-inch
rectangle. Sprinkle with half the almond-and-fruit mixture. Starting with a 12-inch
edge, roll rectangle compactly, jelly-roll style. Pinch edge and ends to seal. Place,
sealed side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with other portion of
- Beat reserved egg white until slightly bubbly; then brush over each roll. Sprinkle
rolls lightly with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown (35 to 40 minutes). Let rolls cool on baking sheet on
a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer rolls to cutting board; with a serrated
knife, cut rolls on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place slices, cut sides
down, on baking sheets and return to oven.
- Bake until crisply toasted (15 to 20
minutes). Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Per serving: 80 calories; 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 34 percent calories
from fat); 12 g carbohydrates; 15 mg cholesterol; 40 mg sodium; 2 g protein; 0.5
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Biscotti Recipes