Miele Biscotti (Honey Biscotti)
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 eggs (reserve 1 egg white)
- 1/2 cup honey
- Sift flour, measure, and resift with baking powder, sugar, and cinnamon. Add
nuts. Cut shortening in with fingers until well blended. Warm honey slightly.
- Make a well in flour, put eggs and warm honey into it and knead into a smooth
ball. Dough should be firm and manageable; if it is too soft and sticky, add more
- Roll dough into oblong loaf 5 inches wide and 1/2-inch thick. Place on a greased
cookie sheet, brush top with reserved egg white, and bake in moderate oven (350
degrees F) until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Cut into 1-inch slices.
- Store in airtight container. They will keep fresh for weeks.
Source: Gourmet Connection magazine