Almond or Macadamia Cheesecake Brownies
- 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate or 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or macadamias
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square pan.
- Brownies: Melt chocolate and 3 tablespoons of the butter in small heavy saucepan over
low heat; set aside.
- Mix cream cheese with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl.
- Slowly add 1/4 cup sugar, blending well.
- Add 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; set aside.
- Beat remaining 2 eggs and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until light.
- Add baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup flour.
- Blend in chocolate mixture, remaining 1 teaspoon
vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread half the chocolate mixture in prepared pan.
- Cover with cream cheese
mixture, then spoon remaining chocolate mixture over the top. Swirl with knife
or spatula to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set in center. Do not over-bake.
- Almond Icing: Combine chocolate chips, butter, milk and almond extract in
small heavy saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Add confectioners'
sugar; beat until glossy and easy to spread.
Yield: 18 brownies
* If substituting macadamias for the almonds, omit the almond flavoring in the
batter. Substitute vanilla extract for the almond extract in the frosting.
An additional 1/2 cup of nuts may be sprinkled over top of icing.