Black Bean Brownies
A dessert you can feel great about, these brownies offer protein, fiber and a
smooth texture thanks to black beans. Canola oil is a baking no-brainer with less
saturated fat than other cooking oils, a light texture and neutral flavor.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 (15.5 ounce/439g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips 150 mL, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cocoa 75 mL
- 3/4 cup brown sugar 175 mL
- 1 teaspoon baking
powder 4 mL
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 4 mL
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Spray 8 x 8 (20 x 20 cm) baking
dish with canola oil cooking spray.
- In blender or food processor, place beans, canola oil and 1/3 cup (75 mL) chocolate
chips and blend well.
- Add eggs, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder and vanilla to mixture and blend
- Transfer mixture to baking dish and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until inserted wooden comes out clean.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yields 12 squares
serving size 1 square
nutritional analysis per serving Calories 186 Total Fat 8 g Saturated Fat
2 g Cholesterol 31 mg Carbohydrates 26 g Fiber 3 g Sugars 19 g Protein 4 g Sodium
54 mg Potassium 182 mg
Recipe and photo credit: