Brownies with Golden Butterscotch Frosting
- 2 (1 ounce) cakes unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped nut meats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon
Golden Butterscotch Frosting
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
(1 ounce) cake unsweetened chocolate
- Melt chocolate and shortening over hot water; cool.
- In mixing bowl beat eggs until thick; gradually blend in sugar until smooth,
then cooled chocolate mixture.
- Add, all at once, nut meats, flavoring and sifted
dry ingredients; fold until well mixed.
- Spread thick batter in lightly greased 9-inch
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- Top with Golden Butterscotch Frosting. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Golden Butterscotch Frosting: In saucepan combine sugar, butter or margarine and milk. Cook to soft ball stage
(236 degrees F) about 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Beat until frosting becomes creamy
and loses gloss.
- Stir in flavoring.
- Spread over brownies; allow to set.
- Melt chocolate
and drizzle it over the frosting.
Makes 3 dozen.