- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In saucepan combine butter, cocoa and 1 cup water. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- In large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; stir in eggs,
buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Add cocoa mixture, mix until blended.
- Pour into greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch or 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Immediately pour Cocoa-Buttermilk Frosting over brownies, spread evenly.
- Cool; cut into bars.
- Cocoa-Buttermilk Frosting: Stir butter, cocoa and buttermilk in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and beat in sugar.
- Stir in nuts and vanilla extract.
Makes 50 to 60 brownies.