Butterscotch Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 18 x 12 x 1-inch
- To prepare the cream cheese filling: In a medium-size bowl, beat the cream cheese
and the sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the flour and beat until
incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan over low heat, melt the butterscotch chips and the
butter, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove from heat and beat in the brown
sugar until well blended. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs one at a time into the butterscotch mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients, beating until well combined.
- Stir in the walnuts.
the batter into prepared pan.
- Drop the cream cheese mixture by teaspoonsful over the batter. Using a small
knife, swirl the cream cheese mixture by teaspoonsful over the batter.
- Using a small knife, swirl the cream cheese into the batter, forming a decorative
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center
of pan comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not over-bake.
- Allow to cool to
room temperature, or overnight, before cutting and serving.
Makes 24 (3-inch) brownies.