This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Caramel Candy Brownies
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped (about 45 caramels)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Base and Topping
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.
- Filling: In a microwave-safe bowl, on medium power, heat caramels and milk for
- Remove from oven and stir until melted and smooth. (Alternately, heat
caramels and milk in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth and melted.)
Keep warm while preparing brownie batter.
- Base and Topping: In a large saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter,
stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- When mixture has cooled, stir in sugar.
- Add eggs and beat until just blended.
- Stir in milk.
- Blend in flour. Stir in nuts.
- Spread half the batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Spoon filling over batter.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the nuts over top.
- Drop remaining batter by spoonsful over nuts, then sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake in for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out
- Place pan on a rack to cool completely, then cut into squares.
Yield: 24 brownies
Nutrition information per brownie: 264 calories, 3 grams protein, 14 grams
fat, 35 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 44 milligrams cholesterol, 112 milligrams
Tip: To melt chocolate in a microwave, use chocolate chips, chocolate squares
(each 1 ounce) or small chunks of chocolate. Place in a microwave-safe bowl, cover
tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH for approximately 1 minute per ounce.
(Times will vary depending upon the power of your microwave and the quantity of
chocolate used.) Remove from microwave and stir until melted and smooth.