This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Caramel Frosted Turtle Brownies
- 4 (1 ounce) squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (4 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pecans or walnut halves, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease foil-lined 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Brownie: Microwave chocolate squares and butter in microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes
or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir sugar into chocolate until well blended.
- Mix in eggs.
- Stir in flour.
- Spread 1/2 of batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until batter is firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, microwave caramels and cream in microwavable bowl on HIGH 3 minutes
or until caramels begin to melt. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of nuts.
- Gently spread caramel mixture over brownie batter in pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pour remaining unbaked brownie batter evenly over caramel mixture; sprinkle
with remaining nuts.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- Run knife around the edge of pan to loosen brownies from sides. Lift from pan
using foil as handles. Cut into 24 fudgy brownies or add frosting below.
- Caramel Frosting: Heat butter in 2-quart saucepan until melted. Stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling,
stirring constantly. Boil and stir over low heat 2 minutes; stir in milk. Heat to
boiling; remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners'
sugar. Place pan of frosting in bowl of cold water; beat until smooth and spreading
consistency. If frosting becomes too stiff, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon
at a time.
Frosts a 13 x 9-inch cake or fills and frosts two 8- or 9- inch cake layers.
Yields 24 servings.