This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 ounces baking chocolate
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brownie: Melt butter and chocolate in microwave or double boiler. Cool this mixture.
- Beat eggs and salt together until light and foamy.
- Gradually beat sugar into the egg mixture.
- With a few quick strokes with your wooden spoon, combine the cooled
chocolate mixture into the eggs and sugar. Before the mixture becomes uniformly
colored and well blended, fold in flour. Before flour is fully blended in, fold
- Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool, then frost.
- Chocolate Frosting: Melt shortening and chocolate in saucepan over low heat.
Stir in remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Place pan of frosting in bowl
of ice water and continue beating until it is of spreading consistency. If desired,
stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts.
- Frost brownies and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.