Chocolate Carrot Brownies
This is a recipe from The Dough Boys bakery in Asheville, North Carolina, which
has been closed for many years now.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark or golden raisins (optional)
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, then butter lightly; set
- Melt chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir
to blend, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- With a wooden spoon, beat eggs into reserved chocolate mixture, one egg at a time.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the flour mixture; blend well.
- Stir in carrots, nuts, orange zest, vanilla extract and raisins (if desired).
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the middle
of a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, or until a knife or wooden pick
inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let brownies cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares when cool.