Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
with Chocolate-Coffee Icing
- Butter and flour for preparing pan
- 5 tablespoons
unsalted butter, divided
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
- To prepare brownies, butter an 8-inch square baking pan generously and dust
with flour. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the butter and chocolate in heavy medium saucepan
and set over very low heat. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and creamy,
2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, cream remaining 2 tablespoons butter
with cream cheese.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of the flour and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract and mix to blend. Set aside.
- Beat remaining 2 eggs with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat until thickened.
- Fold in baking powder, salt and remaining 1/2 cup flour.
- Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, nuts and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate batter into prepared pan.
- Drizzle cream cheese mixture over batter, and with a spatula swirl into
the chocolate batter.
- Bake on center rack until tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool to room temperature.
- To prepare icing, in heavy medium saucepan, combine cream, chocolate and
instant coffee powder and set over very low heat. Cook, stirring constantly,
until mixture is smooth and creamy. Cool 15 minutes.
- Using spatula, spread icing over top of brownies.
- Refrigerate until icing is firm.
- Slice brownies into 16 squares, place in covered container and refrigerate.
(Brownies can be prepared 2 days ahead. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 260; Carbohydrates 28 g; Protein
4 g; Fat 16 g including sat. fat 8 g; Cholesterol 64 mg; Sodium 85 mg; Calcium 34
mg; Dietary fiber 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 bread/starch exch., 1 other carb. exch.
and 3 fat exch.