This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
with Chocolate-Coffee Icing
- Butter and flour for preparing pan
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
- Brownies: Butter an 8-inch square baking pan generously and dust
with flour. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the butter and chocolate in heavy medium saucepan
and set over very low heat. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and creamy,
2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, cream remaining 2 tablespoons butter
with cream cheese.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of the flour and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract
and mix to blend. Set aside.
- Beat remaining 2 eggs with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat until thickened.
- Fold in baking powder, salt and remaining 1/2 cup flour.
- Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, nuts and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate batter into prepared pan.
- Drizzle cream cheese mixture over batter, and with a spatula swirl into
the chocolate batter.
- Bake on center rack until tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool to room temperature.
- Icing: In heavy medium saucepan, combine cream, chocolate and
instant coffee powder and set over very low heat. Cook, stirring constantly,
until mixture is smooth and creamy. Cool 15 minutes.
- Using spatula, spread icing over top of brownies.
- Refrigerate until icing is firm.
- Slice brownies into 16 squares, place in covered container and refrigerate.
(Brownies can be prepared 2 days ahead. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 260; Carbohydrates 28 g; Protein
4 g; Fat 16 g including sat. fat 8 g; Cholesterol 64 mg; Sodium 85 mg; Calcium 34
mg; Dietary fiber 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 bread/starch exch., 1 other carb. exch.
and 3 fat exch.