This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chocolate-Cream Cheese Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted margarine
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 14 x 12-inch sheet cake pan.
- Melt chocolate, 1/2 cup of the butter and all the margarine in top half of a
double boiler over boiling water, stirring to blend. When melted, remove from heat
and allow to cool. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Add sugar and continue bating until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
When well blended, pour into prepared pan. Smooth top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup
of the walnuts. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese and remaining 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining egg and beat to combine.
- Add confectioners' sugar and beat until well blended.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over top of brownies, leaving 1/2-inch border all around,
using a rubber spatula to smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting into squares.