Cinnamon Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee (instant
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 ounces high-quality bittersweet
chocolate such as Lindt or Tobler, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch
square baking pan, flour the bottom, and tap out the excess; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and cinnamon; reserve.
- In a medium saucepan over direct heat, or in a bowl in a microwave, bring the
butter, coffee and sugar just to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat,
add the chopped chocolate, and stir with a small whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the
vanilla extract and allow the mixture to cool for a minute or two.
- Still working in the saucepan with the small whisk, beat in the eggs, one at
a time, until you have a thick, glossy batter.
- Switch to a rubber spatula and gradually
stir in the reserved dry ingredients, stirring only until the flour is incorporated.
- Fold in the nuts and scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 33 to 35
minutes, until the top is dry and crackly.
- Place the pan on a rack to cool for 10
- Unmold the brownies onto the rack, then invert onto another rack to finish
cooling to room temperature right-side up.