Espresso Kahlua Brownies
- 1/2 cup (1stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate,
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua or other coffee-flavored
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 25 espresso coffee beans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan, shaking
out excess flour.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring
until smooth. Cool chocolate mixture to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla extract,
espresso powder and Kahlua until mixture is thickened and pale.
- Beat in chocolate
- Into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt and beat into batter
just until blended well.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and arrange coffee beans in 5 rows of 5 beans each.
- Bake brownies in middle of oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick comes
out with crumbs adhering to it.
- Cool brownies completely in pan on a rack before
cutting into 25 squares.
Brownies keep, layered between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container at
cool room temperature, for five days.