Frango Caramel Brownies
- 12 ounces Frango caramel chocolates, cut in half
- 3 cups walnut halves
sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate
- 3 1/2 cups
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/14 cups unbleached pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose
- Unsweetened coca powder, if desired
- Cut Frango caramel chocolates in half and place in freezer.
- Prepare 11 x 17-inch jellyroll pan lightly coated with melted butter. Adjust
the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned,
about 10-12 minutes. Shake the pan halfway through to ensure the nuts toast evenly.
- In a stainless-steel mixing bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, melt
butter and bittersweet chocolate together.
- Turn oven up to 350 degrees F.
- n a bowl, beat sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and salt on medium high until thick
and mousse like about 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour in 3 batches, turning the mixer off
before each addition and mixing on low until combined.
- Stir in the melted chocolate
mixture and nuts.
- Fold in the frozen Frango caramel halves.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread to an even thickness.
- Bake for 40
minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Before serving, slice in 3 x 4-inch squares. If desired, sift a fine layer of
cocoa powder over the surface, brushing off excess cocoa for a velvety finish.
Makes about 15.
Source: Marshall Field and Company