Marbled Cherry Brownies
Cherry Cream Filling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 to 2 drops red
food color (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup powdered
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cherry Cream Filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar in small bowl on medium speed
of electric mixer until blended.
- Add egg, vanilla extract and almond extract; beat
well. (Mixture will be thin.)
- Stir in cherries and food color, if desired. Set aside.
- Brownies: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Stir butter and cocoa in small bowl until well blended; cool slightly.
- Beat eggs
in medium bowl until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until well
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture.
- Add cocoa
mixture; stir until well blended.
- Spread half of chocolate batter into prepared
pan; cover with Cherry Filling.
- Drop spoonsful of remaining chocolate batter over
filling. With knife or spatula, gently swirl chocolate batter into filling for marbled
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides
- Cool; cut into squares.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover brownies.
- Bring to room
temperature to serve.