- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
powdered instant espresso
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups granulated
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon
- 3 cups chopped walnut pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 18 x 12-inch jellyroll pan. Set
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate
until smooth in the top of a double broiler. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine, but do not whisk, eggs, powdered espresso, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix into the batter.
- Fold in remaining
3 cups chocolate chips and the walnuts. Pour into the greased pan.
- Bake for about 30
minutes, or until a wooden pick just comes out clean. Do not over-bake. Halfway through baking, open the oven, lift and pan, and smack it on the
rack. Turn the pan around and smack the other side. This stops the rising process
and gives the brownies their wonderfully dense texture.
- Cool thoroughly
and cut into squares.