- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine or butter
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon (or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract plus 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Brownie: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan with
foil; grease foil.
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan over low heat, melt margarine or butter and chocolates,
stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat.
- With wire whisk, beat in sugar,
then eggs, until well blended.
- Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in flour just until blended.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes (wooden pick inserted in brownies will not come out clean).
- Cool brownies in pan on wire rack. If not
using brownies within 1 day, cover cooled brownies with foil and refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.
- With metal spatula, spread topping over room-temperature brownies; sprinkle with pecans.
- Cut brownies lengthwise into 8 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.
- Praline Topping: In 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, heat butter or margarine
and light brown sugar, until mixture melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- With wire whisk, beat in bourbon or vanilla extract-water mixture.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar until mixture is smooth.