This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 9 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (9 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 15 x 10-inch glass baking pan.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the melted butter to the melted chocolate, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and raspberry jam.
- Whip the eggs for 1 minute. With the mixer on high speed, slowly add the sugar
and whip for 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt and place them in a sifter.
- Transfer the whipped eggs to a wide-mouth bowl for easier folding.
- Sift the flour and salt into the egg batter,
folding it in with a rubber spatula in four additions.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture, then the walnuts.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake on the center rack in the
oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. It is important to check the brownies during
baking. They are done when a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out almost
clean. Over-baking makes them dry.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan on the rack.
- When the brownies are completely cool, make the icing. Melt the chocolate in
the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. Let the chocolate cool.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until
- Beat in the sugar and melted chocolate.
- Spread the icing evenly over the brownies.