- 12 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 2 (8 ounce) containers mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment or wax paper. Butter and flour parchment
and sides of pan.
- Chop or break chocolate into small pieces. Melt in a microwave or in a heavy-bottom
saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth. Pour into mixer bowl. Cool slightly,
until just warm to the touch.
- Beat butter into warm chocolate.
- Beat in 1 1/3 cups sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until mixture lightens.
- Combine cake flour and espresso powder.
- Blend in flour mixture on low speed.
Do not over0mix. Pour into pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
Pour over brownie batter in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes, until middle is almost set and top begins to crack.
- Cool in pan.
- Remove brownie from pan, peel off paper and dust lightly with cocoa powder.
- Cut into 40 small bars.