- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease and lightly flour an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate with butter or margarine; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, walnuts or pecans and baking
powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the melted chocolate mixture and the 1 1/2
- Add the 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Using a wooden spoon,
lightly beat the mixture just until combined. Do not over-beat or brownies will
rise during baking, then fall and crack.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a small saucepan melt semisweet or bittersweet chocolate;
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer
on medium speed about 30 seconds or until softened.
- Add the melted semisweet or
bittersweet chocolate, 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and 1/2 teaspoon
vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Carefully spread topping evenly over hot brownies.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes more or until the topping is set.
- Cool brownies in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, cut into bars.
- Cover; refrigerate to store.
Makes 12 to 16.