Velvet Brownies with Walnuts
and Chocolate Buttercream
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup melted semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Brownie: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In top of double boiler, over hot, not simmering water, stir together butter,
chocolate and instant coffee until mixture is blended.
- Beat eggs with sugar and vanilla extract until mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in chocolate mixture until blended. Stir in flour, salt and walnuts until
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 22 minutes or until a cake tester inserted
in center comes out clean and top looks dry. Allow to cool in pan.
- When cool, spread
top with chocolate Buttercream, which is optional.
- Chocolate Buttercream: Stir together all ingredients until blended.
Makes 48 brownies.
Do not over-bake or brownies will by dry. On the other hand, do not under-bake,
or brownies will be pasty. Chocolate chips, dates, raisins or even grated white
chocolate can be added. The brownie base is truly delicious.