These are so delicious! Ground nuts, such as pistachios, walnuts, pecans,
etc. are a great topping for these also.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- Blend sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and blend until creamy.
- Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda, adding this mixture alternately with milk.
- Add melted chocolate and mix well. Add nuts.
- Heat a waffle iron, but not as hot as for waffles.
- Drop by tablespoon into each section.
- Bake for 2 to 3 minutes.