- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 4 cups pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Almond extract or rose water
- 1/2 pound finely chopped blanched almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar. Beat eggs and add the cream.
- Cakes: Sift flour and spices together twice. Combine sugar and egg mixtures, then sift
in the flour. Work this into a soft dough.
- Dust the work surface with confectioners' sugar and roll out dough 1/4 inch
thick. Cut into diamond shapes with a tin cutter or pie crimper and set them on
greased baking sheets. Bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until light brown on the bottom.
Cool on racks. While the cookies are cooling, reset the oven to 200 degrees F and
prepare the icing as follows.
- Icing: Beat egg yolks and water, then sift in confectioners' sugar. Beat
until the icing becomes thick and batter-like. If you prefer, you may at this point
flavor it with almond extract or rose water. Using a small paintbrush, ice the tops
of the cookies and scatter the chopped almonds over them.
- Return the cookies to the oven, and dry the icing for 5 minutes.