Almond Sugar Cookies
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two large baking sheets with cooking
spray. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter
and vegetable shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until dough resembles
coarse meal. Mix in egg yolks.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and almond extract with mixer until soft peaks
form — about 3 minutes. Fold whites into dough. Mix in orange juice.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until dough comes
together and is smooth — about 2 minutes. Roll out dough into a 9 x 12-inch rectangle
about 1/2 inch thick. Using a fluted pastry cutter or a sharp knife, cut down the
12-inch length of the rectangle to divide the dough into four 3-inch-wide strips.
Cut each strip into four 3-inch squares. Cut along the diagonal of each square to
form 24 triangles.
- Place cookies on baking sheet and sprinkle almonds over each cookie. Press almonds
lightly into dough.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned — 7 to 10 minutes. Remove
from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Source: Country Living On-Line
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.