Aztec Sunburst Cookies
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup C&H® Organic Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 (3 ounce) canister C&H® Sugar 'N Cinnamon Shakers
- Beat shortening, gradually add sugar; beat until fluffy. Beat in egg and milk.
Stir together flour and all dry ingredients. Gently add flour mixture to sugar mixture
alternately with orange juice, beating well after each addition. (Dough should be
smooth and pliable.)
- Tint 1/3 of dough with yellow food coloring. Cover dough and chill, about 1 hour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into
rings using a 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter. Re-roll scraps. Place rings about 1 inch
apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Roll yellow dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls
in center of rings, flatten slightly to fill centers. With a wooden pick, make faces
deeply in yellow dough. Use fork tines to score edges of cookies.
- Brush cookies with lightly beaten egg white, sprinkle Sugar N' Cinnamon lightly
over white portion of cookies.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown.
- Cool on racks.
Yield: about 20
Recipe and photo used with permission from: C&H Sugar - chsugar.com
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.