Big, Soft Molasses Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- About 6 cups flour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses slowly, stirring constantly. Mix spices
and cream of tartar and add to mixture.
- Mix baking soda and buttermilk and make a fairly stiff dough by adding flour
and milk alternately to the sugar and spices mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight, covered.
- Roll out 1/4-inch thick - Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.