- 7 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup rum or rum flavoring
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups molasses or sorghum
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar or
- Sift together flour, salt and spices. Set aside for a while.
- Add baking soda to the sorghum or molasses.
- Cream shortening and sugar in a large crock or bowl. Add water, molasses and
rum and cream thoroughly. Add dry ingredients. Stir until mixed well. Roll with
a little flour as can be handled or put in refrigerator overnight.
- Roll 1/4 inch thick and cut with a 4-inch or larger cookie cutter.
- Bake on greased
cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Will keep for months and improve
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.