- 7 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup rum or rum flavoring
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups molasses or sorghum
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar or
- Sift together flour, salt and spices. Set aside for a while.
- Add baking soda to the sorghum or molasses.
- Cream shortening and sugar in a large crock or bowl. Add water, molasses and
rum and cream thoroughly. Add dry ingredients. Stir until mixed well. Roll with
a little flour as can be handled or put in refrigerator overnight.
- Roll 1/4 inch thick and cut with a 4-inch or larger cookie cutter.
- Bake on greased
cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Will keep for months and improve